Thursday, April 24, 2014

Week 10: Multi-verse


I’m a little confused as to what the multi-verse is and even after reading the short story I have no mouth, and I must scream, I am still a little confused. I thought multi-verse meant that there were more than one universe and all of them had their differences. But after reading the short story it seems that it is more about an alternate reality or a “what will happen to earth in the future.” Maybe it’s both?

In I have no mouth, and I must scream, one of the main ideas present in the future is that artificial intelligence will gain it’s own sentience and destroy the human race. This concept is present in a lot of sci-fi but I’m not sure how it would qualify as a possible future for earth. I love it as a concept but I don’t think we’re smart enough ourselves to create a machine that would mentally want to kill us all or even have the capability to. Now when it comes to robots killing us all through war, I think that Is a lot more possible. The military is engineering robots that can maneuver like animals and overcome obstacles in terrain with no problems. I think we have to worry more about each other in the future more than machines. In the end of the story it was the humans that destroyed each other and not the machine.
Another idea or experiment present in the story was that of genetic alteration. The character Benny used to be a handsome scientist but he was genetically altered into a grotesque ape man. Ted, the narrator also becomes genetically altered into a blob.

Today people are obsessed with their physical appearance and will sometimes go to great lengths just to change it. Body modification has become huge and even more extreme as technology advances. We currently have nerve controlled robotic limbs that I can no doubt about it see people willingly remove limbs to have these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment