Thursday, April 24, 2014

Week 13: Literary Speculation


        This week we talked about what Literary speculation and what its purpose was. I find it to be a fact built around an imaginative story that can take science and teach something metaphorically to you. I think its purpose is mainly to make us explore things we normally wouldn’t or would not want to do. It also brings out sort of creativity in all of us. We take a scientific concept that could be too complicated to comprehend or a concept we’re not even familiar with and turn it into something that we’re all interested in now just with the addition of a story plot.

        We started the class off with the movie Primer, a movie that I felt with what little we watched would be a great film in the end. To me it was one of those examples that you don’t really need a lot of money or CG to make a good movie. I felt as though there was a lot more action going on with such simple filming vs. a movie made up of mostly CG. I also loved the story present. It had me interested and the way it was presented was very believable.  It reminded me of the movie Timeline that is also about time travel. In this movie, a group of scientists go back in time to 14th century France and basically write the history we know today. It has scientific and historical facts that come together into an interesting story.
        We also read The Aquatic Uncle, what I thought was a silly folktale about evolution. It was a little different from Primer because Primer tried to be a little more realistic about the scientific concept. The Aquatic Uncle did revolve around the concept of evolution but it did it in a way that was really silly and it brought me back to my Native American cultures class where all the stories had weird talking animals and some sort of moral in the end. But, it did make me wonder if all organisms were aware of themselves would they decide how they would want to evolve? How would things have turned out in the end?
         I would like to see more science fiction media with literary speculation. I speculate things all the time and even come up with my own stories. I think up a lot of “what If” scenarios especially with science fiction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment